A good quality leather bag is an investment, and you don't want it to be a fair weather only bag, so you want it to be waterproof. The key steps to waterproofing your leather bag are:
- Clean your bag
- Condition the leather
- Waterproof the bag
Below we'll go over those steps 1 at a time.
Clean Your Bag
To clean your leather bag, you will want a specific leather cleaner.
- Add a few drops of your chosen leather cleanser onto a terry-cloth towel, and gently massage it into the leather.
- This is done to prevent you sealing any dirt or dust into the leather later on.
- It may initially make your bag look darker.
- Leave your bag to dry on a clean towel overnight.
Condition Your Leather
Conditioning your leather helps to keep it supple, remember leather is skin after all.
- Dab leather conditioner onto a cloth.
- Massage the conditioner into the leather.
- Leave it to dry for at least 3 hours.
We at Von Baer
supply a leather cream.
Waterproof Your Bag
The next step is to provide a waterproofing agent to your bag.
- If using a spray based waterproofer, then spray evenly over the leather, making sure every part is coated.
- If using a cream or liquid based waterproofer, use the same technique as used for cleaning or conditioning your bag.
How often should you repeat the process?
You should aim to repeat the cleaning, conditioning and waterproofing process every 6 months, to ensure your bag stays clean and undamaged.